Long-Term Disability Insurance
Long-Term Disability Insurance (LTD) pays a percentage of your salary when you are unable to work because of a covered illness or injury. It’s provided to you at no cost, and you also have the option to purchase additional coverage. All LTD plans are provided by BlueCross BlueShield of Texas.
You are eligible for the Basic LTD insurance on the first day of the month after 2 months of continuous employment with Harris County. For Optional LTD (Buy-Up Plan), you are eligible for coverage the first day of the month following 12 months of continuous employment with Harris County.
- Provided at no cost to you.
- Pays 50% of your monthly earnings to a maximum of $5,000.
- Benefits will begin once you have satisfied the elimination period of 180 days of continuous disability due to injury or illness.
- Benefits may continue for up to 24 months.
- You may purchase this option to increase your benefit.
- Pays 60% of your monthly earnings to a maximum of $6,000.
- Benefits will begin once you have satisfied the elimination period of 90 days of continuous disability due to injury or illness.
- Benefits may continue for employees up to the maximum time periods as follows:
- Less than age 62: to age 65 or 42 months, whichever is longer
- Age 62: 42 months
- Age 63: 36 months
- Age 64: 30 months
- Age 65 and older: 24 months
If you enroll in the Optional LTD plan, your premium rate is $0.257 per $100 of your monthly salary, up to $10,000 of monthly salary. (See the next page for the definition of salary.)
WHEN IS MEDICAL EVIDENCE OF INSURABILITY REQUIRED?
Satisfactory evidence of insurability is required for any employee who did not enroll for the Optional LTD plan when first eligible.
ARE BENEFITS EVER REDUCED?
BlueCross BlueShield of Texas will reduce the amount of your LTD payment by other income benefits you may receive.
WHAT OTHER BENEFITS ARE INCLUDED?
- Survivor Benefit
- Work Incentive
- Rehabilitation Incentive with Day Care
- Worksite Modification
For detailed definitions of key LTD terms, download a PDF of the complete 2021-2022 Employee Benefits Guide.