Mental Wellbeing Resource Center
The uncertainty of what tomorrow may bring can cause anxiety, worry and fear. While this is a normal response to stress, this uncertainty can feel overwhelming, especially when things seem (and are) out of your control. Take some time for yourself to tap into these useful benefits.
- 988 has been designated as the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (now known as the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline), and is now active across the United States.
- If you or someone you know is exhibiting signs of mental illness, it is important to access mental health services before the situation becomes a crisis. You can access these services by calling the MHMRA Helpline at 713-970-7000 if you live in Harris County.
- If there is NOT AN IMMEDIATE THREAT OF DANGER but someone is acting out due to his/her mental state, and you live in the City of Houston, call the Houston Police Department’s non-emergency number at 713-884-3131 and request that a Crisis Intervention Trained (CIT) officer be dispatched to the location of the incident.
- If someone, due to his/her mental state is acting out and there IS AN IMMEDIATE THREAT OF DANGER to that person or someone else, call 911. An immediate threat of danger can include threats to hurt himself or another.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
As an employee or retiree you have access to a valuable Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provided by Cigna at no additional cost. EAP personal advocates will work with you and your household family members to help you resolve issues you may be facing, connect you with the right mental health professionals, direct you to a variety of helpful resources in your community and more.
- No cost to you
- Can share EAP with someone in your household
The EAP offers access to face-to-face counselors in your area, as well as Cigna EAP phone consultants to help process life stresses and improve well-being.
- Counseling – Each person may use up to 8 face-to-face counseling sessions per issue per year.
- Legal assistance – 30-minute consultation with an attorney face-to-face or by phone (employment-related issues not covered)
- Financial – 30-minute telephone consultation with a qualified specialist on topics such as debt counseling or planning for retirement
- Parenting – Resources and referrals for childcare providers, before- and after-school programs, camps, adoption organizations, child development, prenatal care and more.
- Eldercare – Resources and referrals for home health agencies, assisted living facilities, social and recreational programs and long-distance care giving.
- Pet care – Resources and referrals for pet sitting, obedience training, veterinarians and pet stores.
- Identity theft – 60-minute consultation with a fraud specialist.
How to Get Started
- Contact Cigna any day, anytime – 1.800.244.6224
- Log in or register at myCigna.com
Aromatherapy can have different well being benefits including:
- Relief from anxiety and depression
- Improved quality of life, particularly for people with chronic health conditions
- Improved sleep
Essential oils are natural compounds extracted from plants. When used for aromatherapy, essential oils activate receptors within the nose that can regulate emotions and other bodily systems. Different essential oils have varying benefits on well-being. Essential oils can be applied externally on the skin in small droplets, including on the forehead and temples. Diffusers are devices that disperse essential oil particles in the air for therapeutic purposes.
Sources & More Information
Pet Adoption & Fostering
Pets have proven benefits to overall health. Companionship from animals helps relieve anxiety, stress and other mental health challenges. Pets may also enhance motivation and feelings of purpose and happiness. Check out options for fostering or adopting pets through the following resources:
- Harris County Pets: www.countypets.com
612 Canino Rd, Houston, TX 77076
- BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions: www.houstontx.gov/barc
3200 Carr St, Houston, TX 77026
- Houston Humane Society: www.houstonhumane.org
14700 Almeda Rd., Houston, TX 77053
- Pasadena Animal Shelter: www.pasadenatx.gov/151/Animal-Control-Adoptions
5150 Burke Rd., Pasadena, TX 77504
What is fostering?
Fostering is when a person temporarily cares for a pet while waiting for the pet to be adopted. The foster process provides a safe, healthy environment for the pet and helps them become more socialized, which may improve the chances of adoption.
World Mental Health Day Toolkit
World Mental Health Day is October 10th, but it’s essential to talk about and prioritize employee mental well-being year round.
Make it easy by sharing the below communications and resources, and reminding employees that they can find an in-network mental health specialist by using myCigna or calling the number on the back of their ID card.
Contact your Cigna representative for more information and to learn more about our behavioral education and training offerings.
Visit the website: https://www.cignaclient.com/l/mental-health-toolkit-wmhd-b